Deterring Birds from Dining in Vineyards

Deterring Birds from Dining in Vineyards

Postby Gin » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:39 am

I have just a few old (30+ years) table grape vines that the birds devoured in just a week last year. Ed lost nearly all of his crop to birds last year.

When we were at Bray Vineyards last fall they were using shiny streamers as bird deterrent. When I called them just a few weeks ago they indicated that orchard supply stores would have such stuff.

Home Depot doesn’t have any. Do you know other local stores that might? I found stuff on line but would like to find a brick and mortar source if possible.

I know that netting probably would be a more effective method but it is not as practical and surely expensive. I’d like to try the streamers first.

Thanks for any help.

Cheryl Fuller
cfuller@fullercoe.com
Gin

Re: Deterring Birds from Dining in Vineyards

Postby Gin » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:41 am

I have a vineyard, and did try the streamers, and they didn’t really work all that well, it may have helped some but the birds still attached my grapes and we lost about 1/4 to 1/2 of our 1st years harvest. I also used old CD's and DVD's and hung them up because they were shinny and moved when the wind blew. I also have a large plastic owl on a pole in the vineyard, not sure how much he helps either. We also invested in a bird gard(it runs on a battery, and we use a solar panel to keep it charged) and makes bird noises that deter the birds. I purchased it through Gemplers. You can look at them online, there are several different models depending on how much area you need to cover. Your neighbors may not be happy about this. We live on 5 acres so its not really an issue. Last year we did invest in netting. This of course was the best solution. It wasn’t cheap but did work best. I wish I could be more positive but the birds are just so persistent. I didn’t want to be so negative just wanted to give you what our experience have been and what worked and what didn’t. Best of luck with your bird issue.

I bought the tape at Orchard Supply, it was the only place I could find it locally, but Gemplers also has tape. They call it Flash Tape.

Barbara Derrick
Last edited by Gin on Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gin

Postby Gin » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:42 am

Valley Vineyard in Lodi has it by the box.

Gary Waldsmith
Last edited by Gin on Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gin

Postby Gin » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:43 am

Try Talini Nursery Folsom and 56th or Emeighs

Doc Jim
Gin

Postby Gin » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:46 am

You can usually get the tapes at the county Farm Supply stores. e.g Placer Farm supply in penryn/Newcastle - 916-663-3741 on Ophir road next to Kubota, and there is one in Napa just off Hwy 29, and probably one in Placerville, or therebouts.(check Placerville fruit growers assn, on Missouri Flat road 530-622-2640) they have tapes. So it depends on where you live. Also there is Valley Vineyard and Orchard Supply in Lodi 209-368-8595 - probably the cheapest of the bunch. Take Turner Road west off 99, and just over the tracks, go left on Sacramento St. and go down a ways on the left.

I grow a smaller plot of grapes near Loomis, 0.4 acres - and I think the streamers have only a limited effect. If you have a small plot, too, the netting is going to be the most effective. I have bird distress calls, a hawk kite, a windmill blade thing with UV reflection, and streamers, and still get damage on the ends and outside rows. I use a pellet gun, too, but don't hit much.

Give me a ring, if you want.

And good luck,

Don Koehler
Gin

Postby Gin » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:57 am

Lodi Orchard and Vineyard Supply (Google them) has these and virtually any other vineyard supplies you could ever need. When we put in our vineyard, they supplied all of our needed items with the exception of the drip irrigation system. They will help the back yard vineyardist as well as contract for commercial development of vineyards and orhcards.

Chuck Sellers
Gin

Postby Gin » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:14 pm

The Placer County Farm Supply on Ophir Rd in Newcastle usually carries the reflective tape.
Good Luck

Grant Koch
Gin

Postby Gin » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:06 pm

I got a roll of that shiney stuff to scare off the birds at
Harmony Farm Supply and Nursery
3244 Gravenstein Hwy N
Sebastopol, CA 95472

Mary Margolis
Gin

Postby Gin » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:35 am

Three places for garden streamers:

Orchard Supply Hardware store locator:
http://www.osh.com/eng/storeSection/red ... ocator.cfm

Also found this one, not sure what it is.
Orchard Supply Co.
Box 956
Sacramento, CA 95812-0956
(916) 446-7821
(916) 442-7413 FAX

And in Lodi:
http://www.manta.com/c/mmlr51w/valley-v ... ard-supply

Good luck!
Lynn Keay
Gin

Postby Gin » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:38 pm

Try Valley Vinyard supply in Lodi , 420 N. Sacramento Street just south of Turner Rd. phone 209-368-1232. I wish you luck, we have only found releif from netting.
Paul Baldwin
Gin

Return to Vineyard Management